The Straits Times
20 December 2007
Expect to pay more for food from next month
An article in The Straits Times on 20 Dec 2007 (pg 31) indicated that price increases will be passed on from wholesalers to clients. The increases are a direct result of intense global demand for agricultural produce.
Throw in rising oil prices and Singapore’s high rentals and ballooning wages and a serious cost squeeze is on the horizons.
Many eateries have yet to pass on the extra costs to consumers but Spire’s Group Managing Director, Mr Leon Perera, says: “It’s likely the price increase will become more visible among the food services sector in the first and second quarters of next year.”
This is in response to prices in the supermarkets, which are already rising.
The Business Times
20 December 2007
More MNCs to tap Asia’s ‘silver hair’ market: survey
The Business Times reported on 20 Dec 2007 (pg 6) that the ageing population in Asian countries represents a business opportunity, according to a recent survey by Spire Research and Consulting, which conducts market entry and growth studies.
Of the 105 companies surveyed in the second half of this year, only 23 percent have done something about this market segment. However, a third of the remaining 77 per cent of companies plan to implement a strategy in the next three to five years, the survey found.
Among the industries that stand to benefit from these strategies are healthcare and pharmaceutical companies, financial, lifestyle and travel services, and the ICT and mobility solution sectors.
About 20 percent of the population in Asian countries is aged 50 or older, with the exception of India and Indonesia (which have a large young population base). This figure is expected to rise to 40 per cent by 2030.
In Singapore alone, the older population stood at 23 per cent in 2005 and will double by 2030, according to the US Census Bureau.
22 December 2007
A split in Asia; More MNCs opt for separate regional HQ to serve both North and South
TODAY published an article on 22 Dec 2007(pg 31) based on the economic outlook by the Group Managing Director of Spire Research and Consulting, Mr Leon Perera.
As Asia grows, more and more multinational companies (MNCs) are setting up separate regional headquarters (RHQ) to serve the northern and the southern areas.
Singapore is the clear choice for the southern region, while the choice for North Asia is split between Hong Kong, Shanghai and Beijing.
“The splitting up of the regional headquarters into two is expected because the region is becoming too big and is far more heterogeneous, than say, North America or the European Union,” said Mr Perera. “Look at the patchwork of regulations, standards, languages, cultures and so on within this region. I think multinationals are driven by that logic to have two regional or management centres in Asia.”
Singapore has a competitive edge because of its clear economic policies and strong corporate governance.
The size of the domestic market is another important yardstick for MNCs – China has the second largest economy in Asia and is a strong contender for the RHQ hub status, especially for the North Asia region.
Spire Research and Consulting is the leading research consultancy in global emerging markets. Spire's competitive advantage lies in its ability to deliver actionable intelligence on the external business environment in support of its clients’ strategic decision-making in marketing and business development. Spire's clients include 50 Global Fortune 1000 companies and government agencies in 15 countries. For more information, please visit www.spireresearch.com.